A man leaves the world
and the streets he lived on
grow a little shorter.
One more window dark
in this city, the figs on his branches
will soften for birds.
If we stand quietly enough evenings
there grows a whole company of us
standing quietly together.
overhead loud grackles are claiming their trees
and the sky which sews and sews, tirelessly sewing,
drops her purple hem.
Each thing in its time, in its place,
it would be nice to think the same about people.
Some people do. They sleep completely,
waking refreshed. Others live in two worlds,
the lost and remembered.
They sleep twice, once for the one who is gone,
once for themselves. They dream thickly,
dream double, they wake from a dream
into another one, they walk the short streets
calling out names, and then they answer.
- deepcoldsea reblogged this from kenomas
- cobwebshuntmyattic reblogged this from kenomas
- foxandthefawn likes this
- kenomas reblogged this from leprintemps and added:
- yapplestoyapples reblogged this from leprintemps
- flakkery likes this
- leprintemps reblogged this from kathleenjoy
- linzo likes this
- kathleenjoy posted this